Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day 30 Kerouaction: On Fun

The below passage from On The Road is the subject of Day 30 in The Beat Handbook: 100 Days of Kerouactions, which is titled, "On Fun."


I'm plum bereft of creative energy today, so I'll leave you with what I say about it in my book (in the hope that you'll want to go to Amazon and buy it right away):
Read about "pisscall" on p. 31 of On The Road (1976).[32] Isn’t that a great and fun passage? I wrote something I thought was scholarly and profound for this admittedly long entry, but decided after reading it that it was best said like this: goof on your friends whenever possible and pee wherever you happen to be when the urge strikes.[33] That is, live! And have fun while you’re at it. If your friends can’t take a goof, get some new ones. If you can’t bring yourself to pee except in dumb white bathroom machinery, perhaps you might ask yourself why.


Suggested Kerouactivity:
Go outside and pee. Now.




[32] Sorry. I just couldn’t leave you to your own devices for finding this one because you absolutely have to read this passage as part of your beat education.
[33] Or pee on a jellyfish sting to ease the pain (a gratuitous pop culture movie reference).

No comments: