Friday, February 12, 2016

Rethinking the mission and vision of The Daily Beat



In my New Year's Kerouac-olutions for 2016 (click here for the whole list), number 2 was:

Rethink the mission and vision of this blog and act on it

I've been pondering this Kerouac-olution and realized that I wasn't sure what the mission and vision of this blog were at inception. I needed to go back to the beginning of my posts and do some research. All I really could come up with was in the "Description" of my blog, which is as follows (I don't know how readers access this description):

Rick Dale's blog, the most Kerouac-obsessed on the planet!

I would call that a mission statement because, in my view, mission statements should be short, broad, and unchanging. They provide a direction but not details. Mine is definitely short and broad, and upon review, I see no reason to change it. That's the nice thing about a good mission statement: it should be a lasting statement about one's purpose (or an organization's or blog's purpose), answering the question, "Why do I exist?"

Vision statements are different. They always support the mission but they are changeable. They may need to adapt with changing times. Vision statements are more detailed, more concrete (they paint a "vision" of the future, something you can "see"), and they answer the question, "What kind of person (or organization or blog) do I want to be?" 

I have not put time into developing a vision statement for The Daily Beat, but that is the next step. Once I develop one, I will share it with readers. In the meantime, if you have suggestions, hit me up. 

No comments: