Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Where I've been redux

You may have noticed that I haven't blogged since mid-November. Let me go tangential here and say that I don't know exactly how you would notice that. That is, even though I am a blogger, I don't "subscribe" to any blogs and get notifications, and consequently I am ignorant of how it works at your end. But indeed, if you noticed, I thought it might be apropos to comment on my absence.

In a nutshell, I just need(ed) a break. Not so much from blogging -- hell, I wasn't blogging often enough to make it a burden -- but from the avowed content of my blog: all things Kerouac.

Now that may seem blasphemous to say, but it's the truth. I found myself struggling to find something to say -- which has happened in the past -- and I diagnosed it as just general boredom with the topic.

So, I haven't been thinking about Kerouac, reading Kerouac, or writing about Kerouac for nigh on to a month. And it's been good for me to do that.

I don't know when or if I'll take up the gauntlet again. When the muse strikes, I will answer the call.

It's not like I've been missed. Only one person even commented about it. But that sounds like fishing for a compliment. I'll leave it there since it was first thought (best thought?).

Maybe after the craziness of the holy days subsides I'll venture back to a weekly post about something Kerouacian. Maybe not.

We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know of what you speak Rick, I would guess most Beat junkies do, (although maybe not Dave Moore)!
I always know it's time to put JK on the shelf when it starts taking me forever to finish a novel, in fact right now Vanity Of Duluoz is giving me fits and boring me out of my mind, yet I feel the need to finish it for some reason. I think it is the fear of losing the Beat mindset that makes me stop in order to preserve the desire.
It always comes back for me.

Richard Marsh